阅读已结束,如果下载本文需要使用3下载券
想免费下载本文?
定制HR最喜欢的简历
下载文档到电脑,查找使用更方便
还剩122页未读,继续阅读
定制HR最喜欢的简历
你可能喜欢当前位置: >>
第三单元课后翻译
Harvey Mackay, who runs his own company, often interviews applicants for jobs. Here he lets us into the secret of what qualities an employer is looking for, and g
ives four tips on what can help you to stand out from the crowd.
自己经营公司的哈维?麦凯经常对求职者进行面试。文中他告诉我们关于雇主看重什么样品质的秘密,并提出4点建议,帮助你显得比众人突出。
Get the Job You Want
Harvey B. Mackay
I run a manufacturing company with about 350 employees, and I often do the interviewing and hiring myself. I like talking to potential salespeople, because they're our link to customers.
得到你想要的工作
哈维?B?麦凯
我经营着一家有350名左右员工的制造公司,我本人常常要对求职者进行面试,决定是否聘用。我喜欢与可能成为营业员的人交谈,因为他们会是我们与顾客联系的纽带。
When a recent college graduate came into my office not too long ago looking for a sales job, I asked him what he had done to prepare for the interview. He said he'd read something about us somewhere.
不久前一个新近毕业的大学生到我办公室谋求一份销售工作。我问他为这次面试做过哪些准备。他说他在什么地方看到过有关本公司的一些情况。
Had he called anyone at Mackay Envelope Corporation to find out more about us? No. Had he called our suppliers? Our customers? No.
他有没有给麦凯信封公司的人打过电话,好了解更多有关我们的情况?没打过。他有没有给我们的供应厂商打过电话?还有我们的客户?都没有。
Had he checked with his university to see if there were any graduates working at Mackay whom he could interview? Had he asked any friends to grill him in a mock interview? Did he go to the library to find newspaper clippings on us?
他可曾在就读的大学里查问过有没有校友在本公司就职,以便向他们了解一些情况?他可曾请朋友向他提问,对他进行模拟面试?可曾去图书馆查找过有关本公司的剪报?
Did he write a letter beforehand to tell us about himself, what he was doing to prepare for the interview and why he'd be right for the job? Was he planning to follow up the interview with another letter indicating his eagerness to join us? Would the letter be in our hands within 24 hours of the meeting, possibly even hand-delivered?
他事先有没有写封信来介绍自己,告诉我们自己为这次面试在做哪些准备,自己何以能胜任此项工作?面试之后他是否打算再写一封信,表明自己加盟本公司的诚意?这封信会不会在面试后的24小时之内送到我们手上,也许甚至是亲自送来?
The answer to every question was the same: no. That left me with only one other question: How well prepared would this person be if he were to call on a prospective customer for us? I already knew the answer.
他对上述每一个问题的回答全都一样:没有。这样我就只剩一个问题要问了:如果此人代表本公司去见可能成为我们客户的人,他准备工作会做得怎样?答案不言自明。
As I see it, there are four keys to getting hired:
在笔者看来,如欲被聘用,应注意四个要诀:
1. Prepare to win. &If you miss one day of practice, you notice the difference,& the saying goes among musicians. &If you miss two days of practice, the critics notice the difference. If you miss three days of practice, the audience notices the difference.&
1. 准备去赢。“一日不练,自己知道,”音乐家中有这样的说法。&两日不练,音乐评论家知道。三日不练,观众知道。&
When we watch a world-class musician or a top athlete, we don't see the years of preparation that enabled him or her to become great. The Michael Jordans of the world have talent, yes, but they're also the first ones on and the last ones off the basketball court. The same preparation applies in every form of human endeavor. If you want the job, you have to prepare to win it.
我们在观看世界级音乐家或顶尖运动员的表演时,看到的并不是使他们变成出类拔萃人物的长年苦练。世界上诸如迈克尔?乔丹这样的顶尖人物无疑具有非凡才能,但他们在篮球场上也是第一个到,最后一个走。同样的苦练适用于人类的各项活动。若想被聘用,就要准备去赢。
When I graduated from college, the odds were good that I would have the same job for the rest of my life. And that's how it worked out. But getting hired is no longer a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Employment experts believe that today's graduates could face as many as ten job changes during their careers.
我大学毕业时,我极有可能终身从事同一个工作。当时情况也的确如此。但如今已不再是一生被聘去做一个工作了。指导就业的专家认为,今天的大学毕业生在他们的生涯中可能会经历多达10次的职业变动。
That may sound like a lot of pressure. But if you're prepared, the pressure is on the other folks -- the ones who haven't done their homework.
听上去似乎压力不小。然而,如果你做了准备,压力就是别人的―那些没做准备的人.
You won't get every job you go after. The best salespeople don't close every sale. Michael Jordan makes barely half of his field-goal attempts. But it takes no longer to prepare well for one interview than to wander in half-prepared for five. And your prospects for success will be many times better.
你不可能得到你想要的每份工作。最好的售货人员也不可能每次都成交。迈克尔?乔丹投篮命中率勉强过半。但认真准备一次面试的时间不会多于马马虎虎准备五次面试的时间,而你成功的可能性要多得多。
2. Never stop learning. Recently I played a doubles tennis match paired with a 90-year-old. I wondered how t I shouldn't have. We hammered our opponents 6-1, 6-1!
2. 永不中断学习。最近我和一位90高龄的老者搭档打双人网球。我琢磨着那会是什么结局;可我的担心是多余的。我们以两个6:1击败对手。
As we were switching sides to play a third set, he said to me, &Do you mind if I play the backhand court? I always like to work on my weaknesses.& What a fantastic example of a person who has never stopped learning. Incidentally, we won the third set 6-1.
我们交换场地打第三局时,他对我说:“我打反手击球你不介意吧?我向来喜欢多练练自己的弱点。”好一个永不中断学习的精彩实例。顺便说一下,我们6:1赢了第三局。
As we walked off the court, my 90-year-old partner chuckled and said, &I thought you'd like to know about my number-one ranking in doubles in the United States in my age bracket, 85 and up!& He wasn't thinking 90; he wasn't even thinking 85. He was thinking number one.
走出赛场,我那90高龄的搭档笑着说:“你也许想知道我在85岁以上年龄段的美国网球双打排名第一!”他想的不是年届90,想的甚至也不是85岁高龄。他想的是第一。
You can do the same if you work on your weaknesses and develop your strengths. To be able to compete, you've got to keep learning all your life.
如果你努力克服自己的弱点,发挥自己的优势,你同样可以做得那么好。要有能力竞争,就得终生学习。
3. Believe in yourself, even when no one else does. Do you remember the four-minute mile? Athletes had been trying to do it for hundreds of years and finally decided it was physically impossible for humans. Our bone structure was all wrong, our lung power inadequate.
3. 相信自己,哪怕没人相信你。还记得那4分钟跑一英里的往事吗?几百年来,运动员们一直试图实现这一目标,最终人类的身体无法做到。我们的骨结构不适应,我们的肺活量跟不上。
Then one human proved the experts wrong. And, miracle of miracles, six weeks after Roger Bannister broke the four-minute mile, John Landy beat Bannister's time by nearly two full seconds. Since then, close to eight hundred runners have broken the four-minute mile!
可是,有一个人证明那些专家错了。奇迹中的奇迹是,在罗杰?班尼斯特打破4分钟一英里的纪录6个星期之后,约翰?兰迪又以几乎快出整整2秒的成绩打破了班尼斯特的纪录。此后,有大约800多名运动员打破了4分钟一英里的记录。
Several years ago my daughter Mimi and I took a crack at running the New York Marathon. At the gun, 23,000 runners started -- and 21,244 finished. First place went to a Kenyan who completed the race in two hours, 11 minutes and one second. The 21,244th runner to finish was a Vietnam veteran. He did it in three days, nine hours and 37 minutes. With no legs, he covered 26.2 miles. After my daughter and I passed him in the first few minutes, we easily found more courage to finish ourselves.
几年前,我和女儿米米参加了纽约马拉松比赛。发令枪一响,23,000名运动员冲出起跑线―最后有21,244名运动员到达终点。第一名是一位以2小时11分钟零1秒跑完全程的肯尼亚人。第21,244名运动员是一位越战老兵。他用了3天9小时37分钟跑完全程。没有双腿的他坚持跑完了26.2英里。我和女儿在比赛的最初几分钟内超过了他,当时顿觉勇气倍增,一定要跑完全程。
Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't accomplish your goals. Who says you're not tougher, harder working and more able than your competition? You see, a goal is a dream with a deadline: in writing, measurable, identifiable, attainable.
别听旁人说你不能实现自己的目标。谁说你不比你的竞争对手更坚强、更努力、更能干?要知道,所谓目标就是有最后限期的梦想:写成文字,可测量,可确认,可实现21
4. Find a way to make a difference. In my opinion, the majority of New York cabdrivers are unfriendly, if not downright rude. Most of the cabs are filthy, and almost all of them sport an impenetrable, bulletproof partition. But recently I jumped into a cab at LaGuardia Airport and guess what? It was clean. There was beautiful music playing and no partition.
4. 想方设法显得与众不同。在我看来,纽约大多数的出租车司机即使不算无礼透顶,至少也是不友好的。车辆大都十分肮脏,几乎所有的车都触目地装有难以穿透的防弹隔离装置。可近日我在拉瓜迪亚机场跳上了一辆出租车,你猜怎么样?车子竟然干干净净。放着优美的音乐,而且没有隔离装置。
&Park Lane Hotel, please,& I said to the driver. With a broad smile, he said, &Hi, my name is Wally,& and he handed me a mission statement. A mission statement! It said he would get me there safely, courteously and on time.
“请到帕克街酒店,”我对司机说。他笑容满面地说:“你好,我叫沃利,”他说着递给我一份保证书。一份保证书!上面写着他将安全、礼貌、准时地将我送到目的地。
As we drove off, he held up a choice of newspapers and said, &Be my guest.& He told me to help myself to the fruit in the basket on the back seat. He held up a cellular phone and said, &It's a dollar a minute if you'd like to make a call.&
车开后,他拿出几份报纸说:“请随意翻阅。”他还让我随意品尝后座篮子里的水果。接着他又拿出手机说:“您要是想打电话,每分钟1美元。”
Shocked, I blurted, &How long have you been practicing this?& He answered, &Three or four years.&
我大吃一惊,脱口问道:“你这么做有多久了?”他回答说:“有三、四年了。”
&I know this is prying.& I said, &but how much extra money do you earn in tips?&
“我知道不该问,”我说,“可是,你能多挣多少小费?”
&Between $12,000 and $14,000 a year!& he responded proudly.
“一年12,000到14,000美元左右,”他得意地回答说。
He doesn't know it, but he's my hero. He's living proof that you can always shift the odds in your favor.
他不知道他成了我心目中的英雄。他就是一个生动的例证,说明你总是可以争取到成功的机会。
My mentor, Curt Carlson, is the wealthiest man in Minnesota, owner of a hotel and travel company with sales in the neighborhood of $9 billion. I had to get to a meeting in New York one day, and Curt generously offered me a ride in his jet. It happened to be a day Minnesota was hit with one of the worst snowstorms in years. Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport was closed for the first time in decades.
我的良师益友柯特?卡尔森是明尼苏达州的首富,拥有一家酒店和旅行社,营业收入约达90亿美元。一次我要去纽约赴会,柯特慷慨地请我乘坐他的私人飞机。碰巧那天明尼苏达州遭受多年不遇的暴风雪袭击。明尼阿波利斯―圣保罗国际机场几十年来第一次关闭。
Then, though the storm continued to pound us, the airport opened a runway for small craft only. As we were taxiing down it to take off, Curt turned to me and said gleefully, &Look, Harvey, no tracks in the snow!&
虽然暴风雪仍在肆虐,机场还是特地为小型飞机清出了一条跑道。我们正在跑道上滑行准备起飞时,柯特转过头来兴奋地说:“看哪,哈维,雪地上没有痕迹啊!”
Curt Carlson, 70 years old at the time, rich beyond anyone's dreams, could still sparkle with excitement about being first.
柯特?卡尔森,当时年届70,富甲一方,竟然还会因为自己是第一个而如此兴奋。
From my standpoint, that's what it's all about. Prepare to win. Never stop learning. Believe in yourself, even when no one else does. Find a way to make a difference. Then go out and make your own tracks in the snow.
在我看来,这些正是关键之所在。准备去赢。永不中断学习。相信自己,哪怕没人相信你。想方设法显得与众不同。然后就出发,在雪地上留下你自己的足迹。
Han Suyin was born in Beijing in 1917. Her father was a Chinese railway engineer and her mother a Dutch lady. She is a physician and the author of many works, including A Mortal Flower, which tells of the experiences of the author and her family, both in and out of China. This excerpt describes the author's experience of looking for her first job in the early 1930s.
韩素音1917年生于北京。她父亲是中国铁路工程师,母亲是位荷兰女子。她是医生,也是作家,著述颇丰,其中包括《尘世的花》。此书讲述了作者及其家庭在国内外的经历。下述节录描写了作者在上世纪30年代初第一次找工作的经历。
A Mortal Flower
The day after meeting Hilda I wrote a letter to the Rockefeller Foundation, applying for a job.
遇见希尔达的第二天,我就给洛克菲勒基金会写信申请工作。
(1) Neither Father nor Mother thought I would get in. &You have to have pull. It's an American thing, Rockefeller Foundation. You must have pull.&
父母亲都觉得我不会被录用。“你要有后台才行。那可是一家美国机构,洛克菲勒基金会。你一定要有后台。”
Mother said: &That's where they do all those experiments on dogs and people. All the Big Shots of the Nanking government also came here to have medical treatment, and sometimes took away a nurse to become a new wife.&
母亲说:“那里,他们在狗和人身上做各种试验。南京政府所有的头面人物也都来这里看病,有时还带走个护士做姨太太。”
It made sense to me,
I would learn about medicine, since I wanted to study medicine. And as there was no money at home for me to study, I would earn money, and prepare myself to enter medical school. I had already discovered that a convent-school education was not at all adequate, and that it would take me at least three more years of hard study before being able to enter any college at all. Science, mathematics, Chinese literature and the classics . . .with the poor schooling given to me, it would take me years to get ready for a university.
在医院里当打字员,对我挺合适。那样我就能了解一些医学知识,这很重要,因为我想学医。家里没钱供我上学,所以我得挣钱,自己想办法上医学院。我已经发现在女隐修会学校的教育远远不够,要想上大学,自己至少得再努力三年才行。科学、物理、数学、中国文学、古典文学……就凭我学的那么点儿功课,要上大学还得准备好多年。
&I will do it,& But clenched teeth, decision tearing my bowels, there was no money, no money, my mother said it, said it until I felt as if every scrap of food I ate was wrenched off my father's body.
“我要上大学,”可是,咬牙切齿痛下决心是无济于事的;家里没钱,根本没钱,母亲说的,整天这么说,让我觉得自己吃的每一小口东西仿佛都是从父亲身上撕下来的。
&No one is going to feed you doing nothing at home.& (2) Of course, one who does not work must not eat unless one can get married, which is called: &being settled at last.& But with my looks I wou I was too thin, too sharp, too ugly. Mother said it, Elder Brother had said it. Everyone agreed that I should work, because marriage would be difficult for me.
“你在家里闲着不做事,谁来供养你。”当然,不工作就没饭吃,除非嫁人,那叫做“终于有了归宿。”可论我的长相一辈子也嫁不出去;我太瘦小,嘴快人丑。母亲这么说。大哥这么说过。人人都觉得我该找事干,因为嫁人我是没指望了。
Within a week a reply came. The morning postman brought it, and I choked over my milk and coffee. &I'm to go for an interview. At the Peking Union Medical College. To the Comptroller's office.&
不到一个星期,回信就来了。早上送信的邮差送来的,我正喝着加奶咖啡,一下子给呛着了。“我要去面试。在北京协和医学院。审计主任的办公室。”
Father and Mother were pleased. Mother put the coffee pot down and took the letter. &What good paper, so thick.& But how could we disguise the fact that I was not [even] fifteen years old? I had claimed to be sixteen in the letter. In fact, said Papa, it was not a lie since Chinese are a year old when born, and if one added the New Year as an extra year, as do the Cantonese and the Hakkas, who became two years old when they reach their first New Year (so that a baby born on December 31st would be reckoned two years old on the following January 2nd), I could claim to being sixteen.
父母亲都挺高兴。母亲放下咖啡壶,取过信。“多好的纸,这么厚实。”可我们怎么才能掩饰我还不到15足岁的事实呢?我在信里说自己16岁。其实,爸爸说,这也不是撒谎,因为中国人生下来就是1岁,要是到了新年再加1岁,就像广东人和客家人那样,他们第一次过新年就2岁了(所以说12月31日生的孩子到了1月2日就已经2岁了),那么我可以说自己16岁了。
&You look sixteen,& said M &all you have to do is to stop hopping and picking your pimples. And lengthen your skirt.&
“你看上去有16岁,”妈妈说。“你只要别再蹦蹦跳跳的、别再掐脸上的粉刺就行了。还有就是把裙子放放长。”
What dress should I wear? I had two school uniforms, a green dress, a brown dress, and one dress with three rows of frills for Sunday, too dressy for an interview. I had no shoes except flat-heeled school shoes, and tennis shoes. There was no time to make a dress and in those years no ready-made clothes existed, so Mother lengthened the green dress. I squeezed two pimples on my forehead, then went to the East market and bought some face powder, Butterfly brand, pink, made in Shanghai by a Japanese firm.
我该穿哪件衣服呢?我有两套校服,一套绿的和一套褐色的女服,还有一条缀着三排花边的女服,是过节穿的,穿着去面试太花哨了。我也没什么鞋,只有学校发的平跟鞋,还有球鞋。现做是来不及了,那时又没成衣出售,所以母亲就把那套绿颜色的服装放放长。我掐了额头上的两粒粉刺,接着去东单买了些蝴蝶牌香粉,粉红色的,是一家日本公司在上海生产的。
The next morning, straw-hatted, with powder on my nose, I went with my father to the gates of the hospital.
第二天上午,我带着帽子,鼻子上搽了粉,跟父亲来到医院门口。
&It's not this gate, this is for the sick. It's the other gate, round the corner,& said the porter.
“不是这个门,这是病人走的。走另外一扇门,拐弯就是,”看门的说。
The Yu Wang Fu Palace occupied a whole city block. We walked along its high grey outer wall, hearing the dogs scream in the kennels, and came to its other gate, which was the Administration building gate. It had two large stone lions, one male, one female. We crossed the marble courtyard, walked up the steps with their carved dragons coiling in the middle, into an entrance hall, with painted beams and intricate painted ceiling, red lacquered pillars, huge lamps. There was cork matting on the stone floor.
御王府占了整整一个街区。我们绕青灰高墙走,一路听见狗在窝里尖叫,走着走着到了另一扇大门,是行政楼的门。门前是一公一母两个大石狮子。我们穿过大理石庭院,走上正中雕有蟠龙的台阶,来到前厅,看见精致的雕梁画栋,丹漆柱子,还有高高大大的灯台。青石地面上铺着软木垫。
&I'll leave you,& said Papa. &Try to make a good impression. & And he was gone.
“我走了,”爸爸说。“注意给人留个好印象。”说着他就走了。
I found the Comptroller' there was a messenger in the hall directing visitors. An open door, a room, two typewriters clattering and two women making them clatter.
我没费周折就找到了审计主任的办公室;厅里有个当差的给来访者作指点。一扇开着的门,一间屋子,屋里两台咔嗒作响的打字机,两位女士咔嗒咔嗒在打字。
I stood at the door and one of the women came to me. She had the new style of hair, all upstanding curls, which I admired, a dress with a she was very pregnant, so that her belly seemed to be coming at me first. She smiled. &Hello, what can I do for you?&
我站在门口,其中一位女士走上前来。她留着新式的发型,是我所喜欢的那种满头卷发竖立着的式样,穿着沿褶边印有花纹的裙子。由于她怀孕已快足月,所以她向我走过来时似乎是她的肚子最先到达我面前。她微微一笑。“你好,有事儿吗?”
&I have an interview.&
“我是来面试的。”
She took the letter from my hand. &Glad you could come. Now, just sit you down. No, sit down there. I'll tell Mr. Harned you've come.&
她从我手里接过信。“真高兴你来了。这样吧,你先坐下。不,坐那儿。我去跟哈内德先生说你来了。”
The office had two other doors besides the one to the corridor, on one was &Comptroller.& That was the one she went through and returned from.
除了通走廊的门,办公室另外还有两扇门,一扇门上写着“审计主任”。她从这扇门走了进去,一会儿又走出来。
&Mr. Harned will see you now.&
“哈内德先生这就见你。”
Mr. Harned was very tall, thin, with a small bald head, a long chin, enormous glasses. I immediately began to quiver with fright. His head was like a temple on top of a mountain, like the white pagoda on the hill in the North Sea Park. I could not hear a word of what he said. A paper and a pencil were in my hand, however, and Harned was dictating to me, giving me a speed test in shorthand.
哈内德先生高高瘦瘦,小小的秃脑袋,尖尖的下巴,那副眼镜奇大无比。我一下子害怕得哆嗦起来。他的脑袋就像是山顶上的庙宇,就像北海公园山上的白塔。他说了些什么我一句也没听进。可我手里拿着纸和笔,我怎么办呢。哈内德在给我口授着什么,让我做速记的速度测试。
I went out of his office and the pregnant secretary sat me in front of her own typewriter. I turned a stricken face to her, &I couldn't hear. I couldn't hear what he said...&
我走出他的办公室,那个怀孕的秘书让我在她的打字机前坐下。我愁眉苦脸地对她说:“我没听清。他说的我没听清……”
&Wait, I'll tell him.& She bustled off. At the other desk was a blonde, thin girl, who had thrown one look at me and then gone back to clattering. The pregnant one reappeared, a pink sheet in hand: &Now just copy this on the typewriter, best you can.&
“别急,我去跟他说。”她匆匆走开去。另一张桌子前坐着的是一个苗条的金发姑娘,她看了我一眼,接着又咔嗒咔嗒打字了。怀孕的那位回来了,手里拿着一张粉红色的纸:“你就把这个打一份,尽你最大努力吧。”
I hit the keys, the typewriter was the same make as mine, a Royal.
我快速击打着字键;打字机的牌子跟我自己的那台一样,是皇家牌的。
&My, you are fast. I'll tell Mr. Harned.&
“哟,你打得真够快的。我要去跟哈内德先生说。”
And Mr. Harned came out, benign behind those enormous goggle glasses. &Well, Miss Chou, we've decided to take you on as a typist, at thirty-five dollars a month. To start Monday. Is that all right?&
哈内德先生走了出来,他戴着那副奇大的有色眼镜,看上去和颜悦色。“行,周小姐,我们决定聘用你当打字员,一个月35美元。星期一开始上班。行吗?”
I nodded, unable to speak. Had he said ten dollars I would have accepted.
我点了点头,话都说不出来。他即使说10美元我也会答应。
The kind secretary said: &Now take your time, and wipe your face. How old are you, by the way?&
那位好心的秘书说:“好了,别着急,擦擦脸。对了,你多大了?”
&Sixteen, nearly.&
“16,快16了。”
&Is that all? Why my eldest is bigger than you, and she isn't through school yet. I told Mr. Harned you were shy and upset, and that's why you couldn't take dictation. He's all right, just takes getting used to, that's all.&
“才16?瞧,我的大闺女都比你大,她还没毕业哪。我跟哈内德先生说了,你刚才是因害羞不安而没法做记录的。他挺不错的,只要慢慢习惯起来就行了。”
&I couldn't understand his English.&
“我听不懂他说的英语。”
&Oh, you'll get used to it. Now, I won't be around on Monday, I'm going to have a baby. It's your letter that got them interested in you, you wrote such good English, better than all the other letters we've had. Mr. Harned will give you a try.& She whispered, &I put in a good word for you.&
“嗯,你会习惯的。好了,星期一我不来了,我要生孩子了。是你的信引起了他们对你的兴趣,你的英文写得真好,写得比我们收到的其他的信都好。哈内德先生要试试你。”她压低了声音说:“我帮你说了好话。”
&Thanks, thanks a lot, ... I need the money, I ...&
“谢谢,多谢了,…… 我需要钱,我……”
&Yes, dear, we know.& Obviously she wanted her typewriter back, and her chair. I was still sitting on it. &Well, bye- hope you enjoy yourself in this job. I've been here six months and I've enjoyed every minute. Don't let Mr. H he's really great, once you get used to him.&
“是啊,孩子,我们明白。”显然她想坐回到自己的椅子里,回到打字机前。可我还坐在那张椅子上呢。“好了,再见了;但愿你喜欢这活儿。我在这儿干了六个月了,一直干得挺开心。别因为怕哈内德先生而发愁;他人真的挺好,只要你习惯了就行了。”
I had a job, had a job, had a job.
我有工作了,有工作了,有工作了。
Is America going to decline like other great nations have before? The author thinks not, arguing that the type of society being created in America is quite unlike any that has gone before it. Read what he has to say and see whether you agree.
美国是否会如同历史上其他强国一样走向衰亡?作者持否定观点,认为美国创建的社会模式不同于任何已出现的社会模式。读一读他的观点,看看你是否同意。
America as a Collage
Ryzsard Kapuscinski
The mere fact that America still attracts millions of people is evidence that it is not in decline. People aren't attracted to a place of decline. Signs of decline are sure to be found in a place as complex as America: debt, crime, the homeless, drugs, dropouts. But the main characteristic of America, the first and most enduring impression, is dynamism, energy, aggressiveness, forward movement.
美国大拼盘
里扎德?卡普钦斯基
仅看美国依然吸引着千百万人这一事实就足以证明美国并未衰落。人们不会被吸引到一个衰落的地方。在美国这样一个错综复杂的国家,当然能看到衰落的迹象,如债务、犯罪活动、无家可归者、吸毒、逃避现实社会的人。但美国的主要特征,亦即它给人的最初的、最持久的印象,却是充满活力、生机勃勃、不断进取、积极向上。
It is so hard to think of this nation in decline when you know that there are vast regions of the planet which are absolutely paralyzed, incapable of any improvement at all.
如果你知道世界上有广大地区完全处于瘫痪状态,无法取得任何进步时,那就难以想象这个国家在衰落。
It is difficult for me to agree with Paul Kennedy's thesis in The Rise and Fall of Great Powers that America must inevitably follow historical precedent. That's the way history used to be -- all powerful nations declined and gave way to other empires. But maybe there is another way to look at what is happening. I have a sense that what is going on here concerns much more than the fate of a nation.
我很难同意保罗?肯尼迪在《列强之兴衰》中的论点, 即美国将不可避免地重蹈历史覆辙。历史一直如此循环―强国衰落,为新兴的帝国所取代。但或许我们能从另外一个角度看待正在发生的一切。我有种感觉,这个国家正在发生的一切不仅仅关乎一国之命运。
It may be that the Euro-centered American nation is declining as it gives way to a new Pacific civilization that will include, but not be limited to, America. Historically speaking, America may not decline, but instead fuse with the Pacific culture to create a kind of vast Pacific collage, a mix of Hispanic and Asian cultures linked through the most modern communication technologies.
以欧洲为中心的美国或许是在衰落,正由一个新的太平洋文化所取代,这一文化包括但并不局限于美国。从历史的角度来看,美国或许不会衰落,相反,它将与太平洋文化相融合,创建一种广泛的太平洋拼盘文化,一种依靠最现代的通讯技术连接的拉丁文化与亚洲文化的混合文化。
Traditional history has been a history of nations. But here, for the first time since the Roman Empire, there is the possibility of creating the history of a civilization. Now is the first chance on a new basis with new technologies to create a civilization of unprecedented openness and pluralism. A civilization of the polycentric mind. A civilization that leaves behind forever the ethnocentric, tribal mentality. The mentality of destruction.
传统意义上的历史一直是各个国家的历史。但在美国,自罗马帝国以来,首次出现了创建一个文化的历史的可能。现在第一次有了这样一个机遇,在新的基础上用新技术创建一个有着前所未有的开放性的多元文化。一个有着多种精神中心的文化。一个永远抛弃种族中心主义心态、部落心态的文化。那是一种破坏性的心态。
Los Angeles is a premonition of this new civilization.
洛杉矶就是这一新兴文化的先兆。
Linked more to the Third World and Asia than to the Europe of America's racial and cultural roots, Los Angeles and southern California will enter the twenty-first century as a multiracial and multicultural society. This is absolutely new. There is no previous example of a civilization that is being simultaneously created by so many races, nationalities, and cultures. This new type of cultural pluralism is completely unknown in the history of mankind.
洛杉矶以及南加州与第三世界和亚洲的联系要比与美国的民族、文化之根欧洲的联系密切,因此将以一个多民族、多元文化的社会进入21世纪。这是一种全新的现象。一个文化由如此之多的种族、民族和文化同时创建,这样的先例从未有过。这种新型的文化多元化在人类历史上闻所未闻。
America is becoming more plural every day because of the unbelievable facility of the new Third World immigrants to put a piece of their original culture inside of American culture. The notion of a &dominant& American culture is changing every moment. It is incredible coming to America to find you are somewhere else -- in Seoul, in Taipei, in Mexico City. You can travel inside this Korean culture right on the streets of Los Angeles. Inhabitants of this vast city become internal tourists in the place of their own residence.
由于来自第三世界的新移民所具有的将本族文化融入美国文化的令人难以置信的本领,美国正变得越来越多元化。美国有“主导”文化的概念时刻在改变。来到美国,你会不可思议地发现自己身在别地―来到了汉城,台北,墨西哥城。你在洛杉矶街头行走, 就可以感受到韩国的文化氛围。这个大城市的居民成了自己居住地的游客。
There are large communities of Laotians, Vietnamese, Cambodians, Mexicans, Salvadorans, Guatemalans, Iranians, Japanese, Koreans, Armenians, Chinese. We find here Little Taipei, Little Saigon, Little Tokyo, Koreatown, Little Central America, the Iranian neighborhood in Westwood, the Armenian community in Hollywood, and the vast Mexican-American areas of East Los Angeles. Eighty-one languages, few of them European, are spoken in the elementary school system of the city of Los Angeles.
这里有规模很大的社区,住着老挝人、越南人、柬埔寨人、墨西哥人、萨尔瓦多人、危地马拉人、伊朗人、日本人、韩国人、亚美尼亚人以及中国人。这里我们能找到小台北、小西贡、小东京、韩国城、小中美洲、威斯特伍德的伊朗人社区、好莱坞的亚美尼亚人社区,以及东洛杉矶墨西哥裔美国人范围很大的居住区。洛杉矶市的小学系统共使用81种语言,其中鲜有欧洲语言。
This transformation of American culture anticipates the general trend in the composition of mankind. Ninety percent of the immigrants to this city are from the Third World. At the beginning of the twenty-first century, 90 percent of the world's population will be dark- the white race will be no more than 11 percent of all human beings living on our planet.
美国文化的这一变化预示着人类构成的普遍趋势。洛杉矶市90%的移民来自第三世界。到21世纪初,90%的世界人口将是深肤色的;所有生活在地球上的人中,白人不会超过11%。
Something that can only be seen in America: In the landscaped, ultraclean high-technology parks of northern Orange County there is a personal computer company that seven years ago did not exist. There were only strawberry fields where the plant is. Now, there is a $500 million company with factories in Hong Kong and Taiwan as well.
只有在美国才会出现这种情况:在北部桔县环境作过美化的、超净的高科技园区,有家7年前尚不存在的个人电脑公司。公司的所在地那时还是草莓地。如今,这是一家有着5亿美元资产、在香港和台湾都设有工厂的大公司。
The company was founded by three young immigrants -- a Pakistani Muslim and two Chinese from Hong Kong. They only became citizens in 1984. Each individual is now probably worth $30 million.
这家公司由3位年轻的移民创办―一位巴基斯坦穆斯林和两位来自香港的中国人。他们1984年才成为美国公民。如今他们每个人的身价都可能值3千万美元。
Walking through this company we see only young, dark faces -- Vietnamese, Cambodians, Laotians, Mexicans -- and the most advanced technology. The culture of the work force is a mix of Hispanic-Catholic family values and Asian-Confucian group loyalty. Employment noti hiring is done through the network of families that live in southern California. Not infrequently, employees ask to work an extra twenty hours a week to earn enough money to help members of their extended family buy their first home.
在这家公司走走,我们看到的都是年轻的深肤色面孔―越南人、柬埔寨人、老挝人和墨西哥人―还有最先进的技术。员工文化混合着拉丁美洲天主教的家庭价值观念和亚洲儒家的效忠集体的观念。招聘从来不张贴告示;用人都是通过在南加州居住的家庭网络完成的。雇员常常会要求一周加班20小时,好多赚钱帮助大家庭成员购买房屋。
In Los Angeles, traditional Third World cultures are, for the first time, fusing with the most modern mentalities and technologies.
在洛杉矶,第三世界国家的传统文化首次与最先进的理念和技术相融合。
Usually, the contact between developed and underdeveloped worlds has the character of exploitation -- just taking people's labor and resources and giving them nothing. And the border between races has usually been a border of tension, of crisis. Here we see a revolution that is constructive.
发达国家与不发达国家的关系通常有剥削榨取这一特点―掠夺劳力和资源,不给任何回报。种族交界处往往是关系紧张的交界处,是危机的交界处。而在这里,我们看到了一场建设性的革命。
This Pacific Rim civilization being created is a new relationship between development and underdevelopment. Here, there is openness. There is hope. And a future. There is a multicultural crowd. But it is not fighting. It is cooperating, peacefully competing, building. For the first time in four hundred years of relations between the nonwhite Western world and the white Western world, the general character of the relationship is cooperation and construction, not exploitation, not destruction.
这一创建中的环太平洋文化是发达与不发达之间一种新型的关系。这里有开放精神。这里有希望,有前途。这里是一个多元文化的群体,但没有冲突,而是进行合作,进行和平竞争,进行建设。在非白种人的西方世界与白种人的西方世界400多年的关系史上,双方关系的基本特性第一次表现为合作与建设,而不是剥削,不是破坏。
Unlike any other place on the planet, Los Angeles shows us the potential of development once the Third World mentality merges with an open sense of possibility, a culture of organization, a Western conception of time.
不同于世界上任何其他地方,洛杉矶向我们表明,第三世界的心态一旦与充满机会的开放精神相融合,与有条有理的文化相融合,与西方的时间观念相融合,就会具有发展的潜能。
For the destructive, paralyzed world where I have spent most of my life, it is important, simply, that such a possibility as Los Angeles exists.
对那个我在其间度过大半生的破坏性、停滞不前的社会来说,说实在话,存在着洛杉矶这样一种发展前景意义十分重大。
To adjust the concept of time is the most difficult thing. It is a key revolution of development.
调整时间观念最为困难。这是发展的一个关键变革。
Western culture is a culture of arithmetical time. Time is organized by the clock. In non-Western culture, time is a measure between events. We arrange a meeting at nine o'clock but the man doesn't show up. We become anxious, offended. He doesn't understand our anxiety because for him, the moment he arrives is the measure of time. He is on time when he arrives.
西方文化是计算时间的文化。时间由时钟来安排。在非西方文化中,时间是以事件与事件之间的间隔来计算。我们安排在9点开会,但人没来。我们焦急不安,感到很生气。他无法理解我们为何那么焦急,因为对他而言,他到达的一刻才算时间。他到了,就是准时了。
In 1924, the Mexican philosopher José Vasconcelos wrote a book dreaming of the possibility that, in the future, all races on the planet would merge into one type of man. This type of man is being borne in Los Angeles, in the cultural sense if not the anthropological sense. A vast mosaic of different races, cultures, religions, and moral habits are working toward one common aim. From the perspective of a world submerged in religious, ethnic, and racial conflict, this harmonious cooperation is something unbelievable. It is truly striking.
1924年,墨西哥哲学家荷塞?伐斯冈萨雷斯在他的一本著作中,梦想着未来地球上所有不同种族都融合成一种类型人的可能性。在文化的意义上,即便不是在人种的意义上,这样一种类型的人正在洛杉矶诞生。由不同种族、不同文化、不同宗教和不同道德行为组成的巨大合成体正奔向一个共同的目标。世界充满着宗教的、种族的、民族的冲突,从这个角度来看,这种融洽的合作令人难以置信。的确令人瞩目。
What is the common aim that harmonizes competing cultures in one place?
使得在一个地区的相互竞争的文化和谐共存的共同目标是什么呢?
It is not only the better living standard. What attracts immigrants to America is the essential characteristic of American culture: the chance to try. There is a combination of two things that are important: culture and space. The culture allows you to try to be somebody -- to find yourself, your place, your status. And there is space not only in a geographical sense, but in the sense of opportunity, of social mobility. In societies that are in crisis and in societies which are stagnant -- or even in those which are stable -- there is no chance to try. You are defined in advance. Destiny has already sentenced you.
目标不仅仅是更高的生活水准。吸引移民前来美国的是美国文化的主要特性:有尝试的机会。文化与空间这两个重要方面结合了起来。文化使你得以想办法出人头地―去发现自我,找到自己的位置、自己的地位。还有空间,不仅仅是地理意义上的空间,更是指机会,指社会身份的流动性。在充满危机的社会中,在停滞不前的社会中―甚至在那些稳定的社会中―没有尝试的机会。你一生已被预先决定。命运已经将你注定。
This is what unites the diverse races and cultures in America. If the immigrant to America at first fails, he always thinks, &I will try again.& If he had failed in the old society, he would be discouraged and pessimistic, accepting the place that was given to him. In America, he's thinking, &I will have another chance, I will try again.& That keeps him going. He's full of hope.
正是这一点,使得美国的不同种族和文化连结在一起。如果美国移民开始时遭遇失败,他总是想:“我要再试一下。”如果他在原来的社会中遭遇失败,他就会失去信心,变得悲观失望,接受自己所处的地位。在美国,他想的是:“我还会有机会,我还要试一下。”这使他坚持下去。他充满了希望。
大学英语课后翻译第三单... 暂无评价 1页 1下载券 现代大学英语精读1 第二... 12页 免费大​学​基​英​第​三​单​元​课​后​翻...大学英语1第三单元 课文翻译及课后练习答案_英语考试_外语学习_教育专区 暂无评价|0人阅读|0次下载|举报文档 大学英语1第三单元 课文翻译及课后练习答案_英语考试...新标准大学英语综合教程二 unit3课后习题答案_英语...课文翻译: (一)“弗兰克从未上过飞行学校、医学院...―在大街上――挂失你的信用卡显然是要做的第一件...新视界大学英语第2册第3单元课文翻译及练习答案_英语考试_外语学习_教育专区。新视界大学英语第2册第3单元课文翻译及练习答案 新视界大学英语综合教程 第三单元课文...新编英语教程第3册(李观仪主编)第三单元课后练习答案__英语学习_外语学习_教育...“竟然”不需要特别翻译,因为“it is unbelievable”的表达已经有这个意思了。 ...现代大学英语精读1 第二版 第三单元课文翻译和课后答案_文学_高等教育_教育专区。土地的寓意 皮拉?萨哈姆 是的,这些事我们家的稻田,以前归我父母,再往前属于我...全新版大学英语综合教程4课后答案完全整理版_英语学习...1. 1) alliance 2)at the cost of 3) stroke ...全新版大学英语第二版综... 42页 免费
全新版大学...新视界大学英语综合教程第三册 第三单元课文翻译及练习答案 Active Reading 文森特?凡?高 大部分人所知道的凡?高的两个最重要但显然互不相关的特点是:他对...新​世​纪​大​学​英​语​综​合​教​程第​一​到​第​三​单​元​翻​译​课​后​答​案这个...第二章课后翻译 Preparation of cyclopropane 1,1- dicarboxylic acid 环丙烷 1...1L 的 50%氢 氧化钠加入到 2L 的三口烧瓶中,加入 TEBA 三乙基苄基氯化铵 ...
All rights reserved Powered by
copyright &copyright 。文档资料库内容来自网络,如有侵犯请联系客服。}

我要回帖

更多关于 hopelife 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信